Shadowbox Reveal Day!


The shadowbox reveal day is finally here! As I'm writing this post on Friday evening, I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and see what everyone made with their cool little enameled boxes. If you didn't catch my original post, please check it out here. I want to say a big heartfelt thanks to Lorelei Eurto for organizing and hosting this challenge If you haven't checked out her beautiful creations, please do because they are lots of fun . And please do check out the generous Sara of C-Koop beads, who supplied all the gorgeous enameled boxes for Lorelei to share with us. She has all kinds of neat enameled beads, pendants, earrings and such. Thanks Sara!

Okay, before chatting more, I want to share the list of participants so you can blog hop with me and go check out their creations. Here you go!

11. Grubbi




Are you hopping?? Please do and if you'd like to read more about my process, you can find more below.


This is my gorgeous box as it arrived to me in the mail. When I first opened it, I was stunned by the blue color and loving rocks the way I do, I immediately thought of lapis lazuli.


Being one who works with wire, I had a slight hope of getting a box with more than one hole on each side so that I could run multiple wires through the box (I think some have 6 or so total), but it created even more of a challenge to work with just the two holes, which was great. One of the reasons I wanted to be in this challenge was because I had never worked with a component like this before. Mostly I refer to the fact that it is a little box, but also, I'd never used an enameled piece. I had absolutely no idea what I would do with it and that made it very exciting for me. I'm also not one who designs things before I make them so trying to formulate a plan wasn't so easy. I did eventually come up with a rough idea for a winged heart, so that's where this piece took me. And I have to tell you - I had so much fun making this! I used sterling silver wire, tiny micro-faceted rubies inside the heart, faceted garnets and pretty smooth lapis in the wings. I made the chain with more of the same, including some small faceted lapis beads and 4 larger faceted rubies.

Here are a few more pic of the work in progress:


Alright, it's just about midnight here, so I'm going to post this so the early risers will be able to see.

I hope you all enjoy this and the other 22 shadowbox creations that I've linked to above -- I'll see you in the morning!

29 comments:

Swati said...

Wow!!! I LOVE this!!! Again...once again...sooo darned DIFFERENT, and yet, so "Shay"! Off to see what others did :-))).

LissC said...

oh wow! That's really wild that you did a heart with wings. If you read my post I talk about how my initial idea was to do a beaded heart, with wings. Great minds think alike!

Yours turned out super cute!

Lorelei Eurto said...

Hi Shay!! This turned out beautiful! I love how you showed the process with your sketches. You rocked the color- and I like the wire work- very creative execution! Thanks for playing along! Please feel free to add your photos to the Flickr group I created for participants: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1740275@N20/pool/

stacilouise said...

I just love your wire work! Thanks for sharing your sketches everything, because it makes it that much more exciting to see where you dreamed that up! Just wonderful!

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

Gorgeous!!

Heather Wynn Millican said...

Awesome!!! Fantastic work!!! very impressed...... :)

Jo said...

Wow! That must have taken you ages! Lovely to see your sketch and work in progress photos too.

Maria said...

WOW! Now this is amazing!

Regina said...

Spectacular! Love the way you create!

Shirley said...

Seriously, over the top stunning! I am simply in awe of the design and creative process. And I so love the color!!! Great job!

Pretty Things said...

That's gorgeous! I'm blown away

Jenny said...

Wow. your gems are delicious. I really like the interior wire work piece. You put a lot of work into that!

sara said...

Very Nice! Thank you for sharing your sketches. The way you used the box is amazing.

Kreativkrapylet said...

Wow! There's really quite some work behind this. Your piece came out so fun and amazing! :)
And the colors are truly pretty. I love blue and silver! :)

Shay Stone said...

Wow... this blog hop has been so much fun. Many thanks to all of you for such kind words and awesome creations. I just got done going through all the blogs except for 3 folks who haven't posted yet, and I am so in love with every piece. We've all made something unique to ourselves and I just love it! Big thanks again to Lorelei for hosting this great challenge!

Hilary said...

I'm always in awe of pieces that involve intricate wirework, because they take a lot of skill and planning. You amaze me! The heart with wings motif is one of my favorites too!

graygirlstudios said...

wow! that is very ornate! such fanciness! I am impressed, I am not a fancy girl, so things like this are really impressive to me. Nice symmetry too.

fanciful devices said...

wow. you totally took it in your own direction. gorgeous! I love how you showed your process w/the doodle and everything. thumbs up.

Cindy Cima said...

Very intricate! Love it!

Andrew Thornton said...

Wow! Lovely wire-work! Very cool! I like how you've augmented the focal and made it burst with energy. Nice!

Lucid Moon Studio said...

I love the color of your shadowbox and the colors and stones you paired with it! I am in awe of your wire skills! You did a great job!!

Unknown said...

You did get a pretty color box! Your wire work is just amazing...really took my breath away!

Shay Stone said...

I want to thank you all again for such warm comments. It sure makes my heart smile!

Third Eye Gypsy said...

Wow what an incredibly beautiful piece! I love how you showed steps of the process and the very intricate finished piece! You are a very talented woman! xo Genea

Malin de Koning said...

I love the blue color on the box you got (well I do love them all actually, but this one is so strong, and sort of dense, just like mine is) and how you combined it with the wirework. I especially like what's going on inside the box, with the little heart and the rays-type-things. You are so clever with the wire. Wow!

Shuku said...

Oh Shay that's amazing! And the box is such a beautiful, beautiful colour - you did a gorgeous job, especially considering your hands. I'm SO pleased and thrilled and proud for you!

Shay Stone said...

Thanks Genea, Malin and Shuku!!

Swati said...

Ok...something is seriously wrong with me. I see that I have commented above. But I really really don't remember seeing this piece! It happens to me sometimes...something I talk about, sometimes even just 5 minutes back, gets erased from my memory like it never happened. I truly feel this is the first time I am seeing this! Oh well, so I'll enjoy this YET one more time...like its the FIRST time! :-)))))

Shay Stone said...

You are too damn cute Swati, and I hear you about the memory thing. I've done the same thing with some of your work!!

Post a Comment


All-That-I-Am on Etsy:

Followers


Inspired by Iza Malczyk's tutorials






About me...

My photo
Simply put, I'm a wire and gem jewelry freak! I like to string, twist, weave, wrap, form, and decorate with gems, wire and other earthy beauties. If you want to know more please click on the "About" tab at the top of the page. To contact me, check my blogger profile (click below) ... Thanks!
I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org