Skeleton Keys...


Here's a sneak peak at my new creations with skeleton keys. I haven't had a chance to photograph them yet, so I threw them on the scanner so I could show you a glimpse. There are so many directions to go with these puppies! I've loved these keys since I was a child, but didn't think about using them in jewelry until I saw other artists using them in their work, and my tastes started to open up more to mixed media pieces. I've purchased some on Etsy, but most have been purchased by my father (thanks Dad!) on the east coast where they are more readily available. Around here, if you go to an antique shop, they just never have any. They sell as soon as they come in. I've embellished them with gemstones (chakra and pride rainbows), stones collected from Spirit Lake in Utah that I also got on Etsy, and Sea Glass from England, including some "End-Of-Day" glass. I'll write more about those in future posts. Needless to say, I am having fun creating again.

Happy Creating
~Shay


8 comments:

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

What a great idea, Shay! The last piece is my fave.

Shay Stone said...

Thanks Deborah! That piece found a home as soon as I posted this!

Anonymous said...

I love old skeleton keys...what a creative way to use them. I especially love the one with all the pebbles hanging from it.

Shay Stone said...

Thanks Sandi :)

Swati said...

Oooooh! These are interesting!! And just like you always do...you've again made something so different!

Shay Stone said...

Thanks Swati!

Sarah McCall said...

why would you do that?!? do you have any idea how precious those keys are? defacing relics to make jewelry is NOT what a true artist does! shame on you.

Shay Stone said...

Wow... well Sarah, I'm sorry you feel that way. I would be curious as to how you see this as defacing? I see it as celebrating their beauty so they can be appreciated again. That's one great thing about us humans - we are all entitled to our opinions eh?

Post a Comment


All-That-I-Am on Etsy:

Followers


Inspired by Iza Malczyk's tutorials






About me...

My photo
Simply put, I'm a wire and gem jewelry freak! I like to string, twist, weave, wrap, form, and decorate with gems, wire and other earthy beauties. If you want to know more please click on the "About" tab at the top of the page. To contact me, check my blogger profile (click below) ... Thanks!
I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org