My Photo/Pricing Process

Since this is what I am consumed with at the moment, I thought I'd share it with you. I'm pretty much trying to get my inventory and paperwork under control and get organized. I'm quite far from having it done, but I'm taking my baby steps! Eventually I'd like to get all my stock put in to one of the Jewelry Designer programs, but I think I'll tackle that after I get my finished pieces priced and online. Now, join me in my fun-filled process!

This first photo is simply my "to shoot and price" pile and my done pile. I keep all my finished pieces in anti-tarnish zip bags to , well... keep them from tarnishing! Also is a closeup of the type of container I use to hold lots of my goodies in. They're called
Lock & Lock storage containers. They have a rubber ring around the edge that keeps them airtight and they close on all 4 sides. Very cool! I LOVE them.


Next, you'll see some photos of my inventory of beads. This is one area in life where I'm pretty darn organized. One of the few places unfortunately, but I have hope. The first photo shows the small 4x6 notebook that I started using some years ago. As you'll see by the following photo, that one got a bit too big for it's binding. All the photos in my bead books are taken by laying items on my scanner.



Next is my larger size 8 1/2 x 11 book and some details about how I keep track of the cost of the beads.


So here's a real view of what I'm looking at when I'm working on pricing. Quite a handful! That's why I'm thinking about finally getting it down on my computer, though the books sure are pretty to look at:)

During the process of pricing, I plug information into Eni Oken's Pricing Calculator , which is an excellent tool if I do say so myself. It works with excel and costs $5 from Eni.


Now, the fun part (said with great sarcasm)... photography. Here's a photo of my set-up. I think I use more lights than people recommend, but there you have it. After shooting, I fix and crop in either Picasa or Photoshop Elements. I often think it is a shame shooting in this little white box, when all that glorious sunshine is out there, but I want a controlled environment in all seasons, so I'm sticking to the box for now. I do love those outdoor photos though.


After the photographing and pricing I will list on Etsy. Then there is just one more step when an item sells, or I give or donate away. Yet again, more pretty books. For the most part, the photos in this books are scanned images. They are not portfolio quality, but rather a record for myself of what I've made and the costs involved. Here's a link to the nifty presentation book that I use. It's made by Itoya.



So now you know what I'm up to these days. It's going to take me awhile, but I am rather enjoying the process!

12 comments:

Tammy's Treasure Chest said...

You are WAY too organized! No really, I wish I was more organized. I have a hard time finding anything! Looks like you won't have any problem getting everything priced and listed.

Shay Stone said...

LOL Tammy! Looks are truly deceiving. You should see every other part of my life! As far as finding things in my studio? -- hopeless:)

Swati said...

Shay, when are you moving in with me and doing the same things for all my inventory? :-D I won't even tell you how disorganized I am :-P.

Shuku said...

Shay this is fantastic. :) It really helps me get a handle on what I should do to get more organized - right now, I've got my beads and supplies in individual ziplock bags in a big toolbox under my bed. I spent 4 hours one day labelling each bag with price per strand and price per bead but it got done! I also have a sketchbook for my designs, and I write down everything I need for them including pricing, but I like your idea WAAAAAAAY better. :)

Lola D said...

Good Lord! Girl! If this is unorganized then I can not even imagine what org is for you!!!! I never thought of taking pics of my supplies and cataloging them like this! Amazing!!!!!

You ROCK HARD!!!!

Lola D said...

WOW! I have to say again! I'm so floored by the organization you have!!!! Jaw dropping!
Truly! You should share over in Jewelrygeeks, too.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Excellent Shay! Another timely post. One of my goals for this year was to get my inventory together and enter it in a program I purchased at the end of last year. I'm such a geek that having software to 'organize' things is GREAT...the only problem is entering it into the program. You are light years ahead of me on this organization and I applaud you for it. Considering I have the next 9 days off from my real job, I do plan on tackling that part of my business this coming week.

Thanks sooooo much for sharing and helping to inspire me and others to get our inventory organized. Yay Shay!

Shay Stone said...

You guys are all cracking me up! I swear, I should take pictures of every other part of my house so you don't think I'm lying!

Swati..When the adoption is official and you move in, I'll work on it with you:)

Shuku.. I'm so glad to help!! I still have lots of things in ziplock bags:)

Lola.. well I just can't stop laughing! I'll see what I can do about posting to JG:)

Shay Stone said...

Kathleen, I'm so glad to help! I think software is a really great way to organize as well and takes up a lot less space. One of these days I'll transfer over. But then I get so scared to lose it in a crash! In know.. backup.. backup:)

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

Unbelievable! Wish you lived closer and could get me organized!!

Corra said...

Now i hope i am half as organized as you - I only have a desk. And I don't have any of my tools nor beads nor wires lying around. I keep them back to where they were every single time I composed something.

I am full of envious. I need a workroom!

Shay Stone said...

Beverly, I wish I lived closer so I could see all your beauties in person and take classes from you! That would be excellent:)

Hi Corra:)
Believe me, YOU sound organized to me. I cannot seem to put things back where they belong, ever. I'll bet you have a nicely organized home where you know where everything is. I'm envious! I do wish you could have a workroom though. I wish we all could.

Post a Comment


All-That-I-Am on Etsy:

Followers


Inspired by Iza Malczyk's tutorials






About me...

My photo
Simply put, I'm a wire and gem jewelry freak! I like to string, twist, weave, wrap, form, and decorate with gems, wire and other earthy beauties. If you want to know more please click on the "About" tab at the top of the page. To contact me, check my blogger profile (click below) ... Thanks!
I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org