Back To Ground



That's what I feel like lately -- this need to get back to ground, back to the beginning, back to earth. It's a raw emotion that I can't particularly describe other than by the above words. Creatively, it has been like a mantra in my head saying "Talisman... talisman... protection". That's what I've been needing to create for awhile.


When I began working with wire about 5 years ago, I used stripped copper electrical wire and crystals and stones. My pieces were rather large and chunky. Here are a few examples:




I still create on the larger side but I've tried to tone them down over the years. I also moved into tiny faceted gemstones and pretty much just sterling silver wire. I still love doing those pieces, but lately I felt I needed to get my hands back into my piles of rough stones and heavier gauge wire, so that's what I've been doing, and it's been great.

The first goddess piece I made, was created almost in a frenzy of energy. I walked into the studio and saw the amber hanging there and knew I had to grab that. Next I was just spinning around in the room grabbing anything that wanted to be a part of that piece -- bone goddess, rutilated quartz, obsidian needle, ruby, garnet, citrine, turquoise. Then I started wrapping it all up, without regard to doing a "neat" wrapping job. Quite the contrary, I want these pieces to be wild and unkempt (but obviously still with neat tucked wire ends so they don't poke!) That's how I feel when I'm making them, and all the while, I am thinking, "talisman, talisman, protection, goddess, powerful, shield", and such thoughts. I honestly don't even know what the various pieces of these necklaces represent in the metaphysical world. I may look it up, but I don't really need to because I know how they make me feel. Hopefully they will find a home with someone who feels their power.

I've made three in the last 3 days and for all I know I may not make more, but I'm pretty sure I will. You just never know about me! For now the shiny silver and faceted gemstones are sitting to the side as I am compelled to work with the Goddesses. I sure having fun with them!

15 comments:

Swati said...

Back to basics is often the call I feel towards life and spirituality too often these days. Not so much with jewelry (but then I have hardly been making any), but just my life in general.

And all these pieces are absolutely gorgeous!!

Shay Stone said...

Thanks Swati. I know that you know exactly how I feel! It is so interesting to be so driven to go "back to basics". Kinda nice I think.

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

I'm glad you listened to the loud call of your muse, Shay! These are so nice and earthy, and I love all the varying shapes and textures to play with while you're wearing them! I hope you do lots more.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Very, very cool Shay! And I understand what you mean about adding lots of movement to your new pieces. Love these. As Deborah said about, keep listening to your muse...I think she is very wise, just like you!

All the best to you in this new decade and year. I too am happy to have come to know you!

Pretty Things said...

Your work is AMAZING!

Shay Stone said...

Thanks so much Deborah! I like to have all the little things to look at and play with as well:)

Shay Stone said...

Thanks Kathleen.. you made me blush! Here's to all of us in a new creative year:)

Shay Stone said...

Thank you Lori! That is so generous of you to say!

K S Jewellery Designs said...

'Eclectic' is the word that sprung straight to my mind when I saw these goddess pendants - love the range of colours and textures, they are definitely 'touchable' pieces. Yes, you must make more.

It's fun to return to your first pieces - I still have a lot of mine hanging up around my workspace to remind me where I came from. Actually I too have recently made a new pendant based on one of my first designs and you have inspired me to share both (old and new)... I'll blog about it soon.

BTW... I have awarded you a 'Sunshine Award' - please follow this link:
http://ksjewellerydesigns.blogspot.com/2010/01/sunshine-award.html

Kristin :)

Lorena // gemagenta said...

thank you for following my blog :)

Now I'm visiting yours and I LOVE it!! is really great, your designs are awesome, and your ability with the wire is amazing!

Great work :)

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

Yes, back to the ground. I too need to find my balance, plant both feet on the earth and dig deep.

I love your talismans - the raw pounded bits, the aged wire and leather. Perfect.

Shay Stone said...

Kristin,
Thanks so much for the Sunshine award:) I haven't been up on my blog reading lately but I can't wait to see what you share with your old and new designs. I like that you think of "eclectic" when you see the goddess pieces.
Hope you are currently having fun creating away!

Shay Stone said...

Lorena, thank you thank you thank you! You know I am loving your work as well!

Shay Stone said...

Thanks so much Beverly. I wish you the best in your earth digging. It's always good to get a little dirty:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shay...thanks for your comment on my lapis piece...yes, I made the feather and the bear...glad you like it.

Post a Comment


All-That-I-Am on Etsy:

Followers


Inspired by Iza Malczyk's tutorials






About me...

My photo
Simply put, I'm a wire and gem jewelry freak! I like to string, twist, weave, wrap, form, and decorate with gems, wire and other earthy beauties. If you want to know more please click on the "About" tab at the top of the page. To contact me, check my blogger profile (click below) ... Thanks!
I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org